Oven Roasted Tilapia With Pumpkin Seed Tomatillo Sauce
- SERV 6
- COOK 40 Mins
6 fresh tomatillos (about 1 pound)
1 large poblano pepper, seeded and quartered
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
½ cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
2 whole allspice
½ teaspoon whole cumin seed
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
½ teaspoon salt
4 Regal Springs Tilapia fillets
- To prepare the Sauce:
- Preheat the broiler. Remove the papery outer layer from the tomatillos then rinse them in warm water. Then pat them dry and cut them into quarters.
- Toss the tomatillos and poblano pieces with 1 tablespoon of the oil, place on a baking sheet and broil on high 4 to 5 inches from the flame until charred and collapsed, stirring once or twice, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the pumpkin seeds, peppercorns, allspice, and cumin seed and toast, stirring, until fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Place the charred tomatillos and poblanos into a blender with the onions and garlic, cilantro, chicken broth, jalapeno, toasted seeds and spices and salt into a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- To prepare the fish:
- Brush tilapia fillets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on each side. In a 375-degree oven, roast the fish on an oiled sheet pan for 20 minutes or until flakey.
- To serve:
- Plate the tilapia and spoon the sauce over the fish. Serve immediately.
- *Can refrigerate or freeze extra sauce